Sunday, March 29, 2009

Night From Hell....


I had the worst night at work....Usually I don't mind having a very acutely sick patient. Usually, I like the pace and challenges at hand. But last night was not fun, but score one my me....the patient was alive when I left! I did not get a chance to eat in the entire 13 hours I was at work. I finally had to force myself to drink because I was starting to get dehydrated and having contractions (lesson I learned when I was pregnant with Braeden...dehydration and contractions go hand in hand). I was on my feet for over 7 hours until they called another nurse in and made my patient at 1:1 assignment. But the night didn't get any better from there as I still had tons of documentation and patient care to catch up on. I felt so behind and flustered. I was dizzy and felt like I was going to pass out by the end of the night.

This pregnancy is making the hard nights at work almost impossible. I just need to be more comfortable admitting I need more help and not be super nurse. And hopefully I don't have too many more stressful nights like these before I deliver....goodness knows I don't need any more stress or complications. At least I am happy to say that I did not go into preterm labor today, and the irregular contractions have stopped.

Part of me thinks it might be in my best interest to slow down at work. Cut back hours or something like my midwives always recommended if I felt too overwhelmed. But I also want to conserve my vacation and short term disability days until the baby is here. I want to have the entire summer with her. Plus, I want to be able to work a little extra now while I can and save for the future. I guess I shouldn't make any rash decisions based on just one unbearable night. But after last night, I think I am ready for D-Day to be here and now! Working while under the influence of pregnancy can be dangerous afterall!

No comments:

Post a Comment